Al Rahad Agricultural Project is located east of Sudan in El-Gadarif state; it is
an irrigated project that runs through a pumping station erected at “Maina”.
The project was part of a campaign launched by the Sudanese government
in the early 1970s aimed to achieve self-reliance and self sufficiency.
El Rahad Project is part of a long-term agro-industrial strategy to capitalize
on Sudan’s comparative advantage in large irrigated agro-industrial schemes,
involving cash crops for both domestic and international consumption.
• It will occupy an area of 200,000 feddan;
• The project is assumed to reach its full capacity in its second year of opera
tion to manufacture a mass total of:
• 80,000 tons of sunflower
• 180,000 tons of peanuts
• 75,000 tons of sorghum
• The project is expected to have a capital cost of $ 98.3m.
• Develop the strategic plan and market study for the project;
• Determine the project’s technical and financial viability to produce the
• Conduct a detailed financial analysis of the project.
A complete financial assessment, funding plan and market study have been
made and submitted; they also included the land design and agricultural
practices in the area.